Montessori education creates self-learning environment and builds on students' interest, while creating a community of knowledge. This educational philosophy has been successful, which created some of the greatest thinkers of our time. Yet, choosing the right Montessori school is not easy. Montessori is beyond the systematic method of teaching as it focuses on special method and teaching philosophy.
So, when you have decided Montessori as the best learning approach for your child, it is the time to take next step. Make the next move by closely looking at Montessori program’s key components and how that school adheres to the Montessori Method. To simplify your search, we have laid a few points that will help you find a true Montessori school for your child.
- A calm and peaceful environment.
- The classrooms are well-equipped with age-appropriate Montessori materials such as charts, arts, and live plants.
- Mixed-age groupings.
- Neat and systematic organization.
- The children are free to choose their work of interest without any interruptions.
- Beautifully and sparsely decorated walls at child-level.
- Availability of transition routines to start the school and on a daily basis (System of admission within the mid-year and management of moving from class to lunch place.)
- Montessori certified teachers and assistants to uphold specific learning process.
- The school must not focus on grading or testing, rather help each child to develop the best of his abilities.
Observing Teachers and Environment
Most of the Montessori schools allow parents to observe school during the enrollment process. Make sure you take the opportunity and observe the environment. Notice whether children are actively engaged in learning, working with their choice of materials, and are safe within the environment. Moreover, teachers should be engaged in looking after the classroom and introducing new activities for the children. A Montessori teacher is a mentor, not a director. He or she should be peaceful and courteous while interacting with children and adults in the classroom. Select a school that has humble environment and mentor, making a perfect Montessori school for your child.
So, by doing a little homework and spending time to know the school, you can easily find a school that perfectly embraces the vision of Montessori education.